Monday, June 20, 2005

I was always best at school during the first week. I would be interested in my courses, excited to do my homework, attentive in lecture. I would do all of the reading, take notes on the reading, take notes from my notes and tell all people delightful trivia about the colonization of Papua New Guinea or James Baldwin's thoughts on race.

In the back of my mind I would acknowledge that yes, this same unbridled enthusiasm tended to show up year after year and fizzle out after a few days. But each semester, I really believed that this time it was for real. I didn't know what had changed in my life, but it was making me a student and a hardworker instead of just some kid who went to school.

Of course, four or five or six days later, I'd wake up as myself and not some bizarre Type-A wannabe. I'd go back to sleep, skipping class, my library date, and the office hours I had intended to crash. Class time became nap time, library time became TV time, and all other time was squandered with friends. It was an okay life. I didn't mind it.

BUT MAN if I didn't get seduced by the work bug again. The first few days of this internship, I was totally diggin' making copies and answering the phones. In between I would read scripts and ask questions. I was eager to learn. But now, in my third week, instead of reading scripts or doing anything remotely productive for the company, I am talking online and googling people and reading blogs filled with celebrity gossip. Basically, I'm going to be a slacker my whole life except for brief weeklong periods whenever I start a new project. Sigh.

Oh, and I might have accidentally let le boss see me blogging. And might have accidentally told him he could find this blog if he googled me. Which, of course, means I might be accidentally getting myself fired. .