Thursday, October 06, 2005

Am home. First night was all, um, I’ve made a huge mistake. But now has been some days and I’m happy to be here in my lovely, (relatively) clean city with family and puppy and, perhaps most notably, bed.

Have spent past few days waking late, watching movies on TV, and half-heartedly searching for jobs in as-of-yet-undetermined fields and locales. Tonight I met a friend for coffee. She is in grad school and is getting married. We’re in very different places, obviously, but she is good evidence that there are indeed creatures my age who are adults.

While she is on track, I have brought my chronic state of indecision down to the most micro level, forgoing meals for not knowing whether I prefer soup or PBJ, going barefoot because there is no real winner between flip-flops and slippers. I’m about to stay home this weekend and watch more marathons of Law and Order, etc. if I don’t get my act together and figure out what I want to do. The initial plan was to take home-friend group trip to NYC this weekend, but as various participants had to drop-out due to collegial obligations (pshaw), groupness of group-trip was suspended. I told my friend in the city that I was going to come anyway; then reneged due to laziness in face of the journey; then flopped again and said would come; then chose just to go to DC, not NYC; then decided, yes, shall go to NYC; then read of bomb threat and decided against trip; then realized if I didn’t go for that reason, terrorists had won, so now I am bloody going.

So. Goals of trip are:

  1. Catch-up with old friend

  2. Have fun/be active/get out of daytime-TV-watching funk

  3. Connive friend into providing analysis of my talents, perhaps also my goals, perfect career, etc

  4. Not get blown up

  5. Eat a cupcake from Magnolia Bakery

This is, of course, assuming I don’t change my mind again by morning. And this isn’t just a cute ending, because I probably will.