Monday, October 03, 2005

Soon after discovering I wanted nothing to do with movies and television except to watch and talk smack about them, I accepted that there was little reason for me to stay here. Certainly I have lovely friends here, but just as friends couldn’t be reason enough to hang around home after grad, they cannot be reason enough to stay here.

When one dreams of writing screenplays or acting on camera, it’s easy to justify retail jobs and sleeping on the floor. But when one has no such dreams, if one has about as much an idea about the direction they want to take as they did when five years old, then perhaps LA isn’t the place to be finding oneself. Certainly, there are lots of opportunities here. But there is also lots of ugliness, lots of sprawl, and lots and lots of city. It is whelming.

So. I have sold my car. And finished up my work at the store. And given notice at my internship. And, once again, bought a one-way plane ticket. And maybe not quite as spontaneously as I decided to come out here, I have decided head back.