Thursday, August 04, 2005

Today was my first day off since last Wednesday. I slept in and breakfasted in my underwear while looking at the city and took a shower and went with the boys to sign their lease and ate a baja fish taco. It was pretty much fantastic. When our lease is up, the boys are moving into this apartment that is southwest of where we are now. It'll be good for them--more central to where they are working now. The landlord man was nice--I think he was Russian. He told the guys that if they are going to buy drugs, not to do it in the neighborhood, but to go to Hollywood. He says it's best to stay away from the neighbors. It's a working class neighborhood, which in LA means black and hispanic, so who knows if it's actually a rough neighborhood or if that's just prejudice at work. Anyway, the boys promised not to buy drugs from the neighbors, but the only people I saw around were little kids on trikes and roller skates, and somehow I don't think they'll be a problem. The apartment is big. Right now it's dirty because the last tenants just up and left. They left a lot of stuff there. Walking through it made me feel like I was in an episode of CSI--I kept waiting to stumble upon the body. Anyway, I won't be visiting again until it's clean, or at least not strewn with old washclothes and stuffed animals.

My own housing hunt is progressing fairly well. I think I might have found something in Santa Monica. I'm going to meet the girl this weekend, hopefully, and we'll see. Today I was talking to a friend back home about money and rent and adult things and we were trying to work on a budget for me. He said that if I stay at the store and don't get another gig, that the most I could spend on housing would be like 450 USD, and that would only leave me with 1.15 USD a day for food, budgeting, of course, for my monthly impoundment.

Yesterday I had fun at work--helped a lot of people, sold a lot of stuff, talked to some Australians. Slater from Saved by the Bell came in--Mario Lopez. A friend of mine was helping him, and he would be like, do you like this one--and then rip his shirt off--or
this one. She rolled her eyes. I laughed. That Slater, he's hilarious.